Friday, April 18, 2008

Back to reality; 3 months and 3 communities to go!

From Joburg it was back to Limpopo and mid service with the rest of the SOM group. We stayed in a nature reserve way up north, about 18 km from the Zimbabwean border…
It was some good days, but hard getting our minds back to work. There has been some problems within our group which has taken a lot of energy of everyone, but I think we managed to sort things out because this first week in our 3. Community has been really great.
We are now in a very rural community in Blouberg called Buffelshouk. It is a very beautiful area with amazing mountains surrounding us. We asked about going hiking in some of these mountains, but were told by some locals that in one of the mountains people disappear, and in other mountains people are living and they apparently have amazing soccer fields there…

The level of unemployment and alcoholism is very high in this community, and people’s level of English is very low so communication is a challenge. There are now “real” shops in this community, but places to buy the local beer are not hard to find. If you see a house with a white flag, you know you are in the right place.

A local favourite seems to be chicken feet, which Claire and I experienced today when we took a minibus taxi from the nearest town. These busses are NEVER full according to the driver, and this one was packed with people and over 60 kg of chicken head, neck and feet….

New community also means a new host family and once again I have been lucky. Together with mum, 3 daughters and a grandson I live in a small house with 2 bedrooms and a kitchen/living room. My food so far consists of bread, pap, chicken liver, sausage (boerwors) and potatoes. I once had chicken but ended up taking the head by accident….
The bathroom is none existing, so everyday they put a (small) washing basin in my room. The toilet is outside, but during the night I’m suppose to use a bucket they place in my room every evening…..I’m getting comfortable with the rural African life, but NOT THAT comfortable;)

For information, I have decided on when I’m coming home, and my flight is booked on the 24th of July. We finish the program around the 21st of June and the plan is to travel for a month before I come home. I want to go to Tanzania, Malawi and Mozambique, and finish of with a week or so in South Africa.

My mind is starting to focus on going home, but I still have 3 months to go and I’m determined to make the best of it and enjoy it to the fullest! When will I ever get the chance again to wake up at 5 am by the roosters, wash in bucket, eat chicken liver and pap, and sit in the dark every other night because of the power shortage?
Lol. This one, she also loves South Africa; The hospitality and kindness of the people, their different way and phase of life, the smiles on the children’s faces, the genuine interest and appreciation of what you are doing, the amazing sunsets, and the sky at night lit up by thousands of stars.

Wish you all a great weekend!!

XXXX

No comments: